10 Biblical Reasons to Give 10 Percent or MoreNAE Financial Health
Here are 10 biblically based reasons to make giving 10 percent or more of your income your highest financial priority in life:
- It is a proven pattern of giving done by Christ followers for many generations. In 1899, a bibliography was compiled of books related to systematic Christian giving. There were over 500 books listed in this bibliography from over 100 years ago, and yet many Christians today do not understand the importance of faithful giving. Review these Bible verses: Genesis 14:17–20, 28:16–22; Leviticus 27:30; Proverbs 3:9–10; Malachi 3:7–15; Matthew 23:23.
- It will help you reverence God more in your life. Your checkbook records show who or what you feel is important. By giving the best of what you have been given to God, you are expressing your allegiance to him, and you will grow in your respect for the Lord and his work in your life. Review these Bible verses: Deuteronomy 14:23; Malachi 1:6-8.
- It will bring God’s wisdom and order to your finances. If you get dressed in the morning and get the first button out of place on your shirt, all the rest of the buttons will be messed up. When it comes to finances, the first button to get in place is your giving. When you get this area in order, everything else follows. Giving is also the only known antidote for “affluenza” (the desire for more things) that permeates our world today. Review these Bible verses: Matthew 6:19–21, 24–34; Luke 12:16–21; 1 Timothy 6:6–10, 17–19; Ecclesiastes 5:10.
- It will serve as a practical reminder that God is the owner of everything in your life. By faithfully giving the Lord 10 percent or more of all you ever receive, you are actively acknowledging his ownership in your life. We are not owners, only temporary possessors and managers of what God entrusts to us during our lifetime. Review these Bible verses: 1 Chronicles 29:11–18; Psalm 24:1–2, 50:10–12; Haggai 2:8.
- It will allow you to experience God’s creative provisions. One of the most amazing things about learning to faithfully give to the Lord is the joy so many people have experienced in receiving unexpected blessings in their lives. When you acknowledge God’s ownership through your generous giving, you begin to experience his creative provisions in amazing ways. Review these Bible verses: 1 Kings 17; Proverbs 3:9–10; Malachi 3:7–15; Haggai 1:4–11, 2:15–19; Luke 6:38; Deuteronomy 28; Philippians 4:15–19; Mark 12:41–44.
- It will encourage your spiritual growth and trust in God. There will be times when you will decide to be a faithful giver of what is in your hand, even when you have no idea how you will make it through the coming day, week or month. But by going ahead and giving to God, your trust in the Lord will grow, and you will grow in your ability to see him provide. Review these Bible verses: Deuteronomy 14:23; Proverbs 3:5–6; Malachi 3:8–10; Haggai 1:4–11; 2:15–19; 2 Corinthians 8:5.
- It will ensure you of treasure in heaven. Jesus encourages you to store up treasure in heaven. The only way to do this is to live generously now. Someone once said, “We can’t take it with us, but we can send it on ahead.” Review these Bible verses: 1 Timothy 6:18–19; Matthew 6:19–21; Hebrews 6:10; 3 John 8.
- It will strengthen the work of your local church. Many churches struggle for lack of finances. However, when people in a congregation gain a vision for being faithful givers to God at their local church, the whole spirit of a church begins to change — needs are met, people are cared for, more outreach begins to take place and long-awaited improvements start to happen. God-given momentum builds as people honor the Lord through their giving at church. Review these Bible verses: Acts 2:42–47, 4:32; 2 Corinthians 9:12-13.
- It will help provide the means to keep your pastor/s and missionaries in full-time Christian service. It has always been God’s plan that his servants are taken care of by his people. Across America and the world, many pastors and missionaries are struggling financially or are even leaving the ministry due to a lack of adequate finances. Your faithful giving can make sure this doesn’t happen among the pastors or missionaries you know. Review these Bible verses: 1 Corinthians 9:9–11,14; 1 Timothy 5:17–18; 3 John 5–8; Philippians 4:15–19; Galatians 6:6; Luke 8:3; 2 Kings 4:8–10.
- It will help accomplish needed building projects and renovations. Some of the most exciting times in the life of a church or ministry occur when facilities are being improved or expanded. But for building projects to succeed, large extraordinary gifts are needed. Building projects only happen well with special gifts that are “above and beyond” people’s normal giving. Review these Bible verses: 2 Chronicles 24:4–14; Exodus 35–36; 2 Kings 12:2–16; Ezra 1:4–6; 1 Chronicles 29:2–19.